LINGAYEN–Mayor Reynaldo Velasco of Sta. Barbara, a retired police deputy director general, said he finds nothing wrong when Governor Amado Espino Jr., when he distributed shotguns to 99 per cent of Pangasinan’s 1,330 barangay captains. Velasco, said while there are safeguards set in the use of the shotguns under the…
LINGAYEN–The stewardship of the Police Provincial Office (PPO) in Pangasinan changed hands with the assumption of P/Sr. Supt. Percival Barba as the new provincial director, taking over from P/Sr. Supt. Isagani Nerez, who served the post for one year and seven months. The turn-over of command was presided over by…
Barba is new PNP prov’l director
CAMP OSCAR FLORENDO, La Union–The new police director in Region 1, P/Chief Supt. Luizo Ticman, has vowed to prioritize the fight against illegal drugs during his term. Ticman, previously the commander of the Southern District in Metro Manila, assumed his new post on September 29 and immediately warned the Ilocos…
New PNP reg’l head vows to intensify campaign vs. drugs
Rep. Jose de Venecia Jr. plans to file a law that will protect whistleblowers against death threats and libel suits. Prompted by the situation of Lingayen-Dagupan Archbishop Oscar Cruz, who is facing 80 libel suits, De Venecia said there has to be a law that will safeguard those who are…
JdV seeks new legislation to protect whistle-blowers
THE impasse in Sitio Russia in Bonuan Binloc is expected to end soon after a cordial dialogue between the city government and the settlers, aided by their respective lawyers, at the office of Mayor Alipio Fernandez Jr. last September 30. According to City Legal Officer George Mejia, only formalities to…
Sitio Russia conflict almost over
NEW POLICE LEADERS—P/Chief Supt. Luizo Ticman (left), the new regional director, hands the command flag of the Pangasinan PNP provincial office to the newly-installed provincial director, P/Sr. Supt. Percival Barba, during turn-over ceremonies on October 2 in Lingayen. (Punchphoto by Cesar S. Ramirez)
NEW POLICE LEADERS
NEW RELOCATION SITE—Regional Trial Court Judge Genoveva Maramba of Branch 44 and Dagupan City Engineer Virginia Rosario pore over a sketch plan of the proposed relocation site in Sitio Bagong Baryo, Bonuan Binloc for the illegal settlers in Sitio Russia as Mayor Alipio Fernandez and Bonuan Binloc Barangay Chairman Ronaldo…
NEW RELOCATION SITE
PROTEST CONTINUES ALAMINOS CITY–This is not a war zone. This was Mayor Hernani Braganza referring to both his city and the province as he severely criticized anew the provincial government’s program arming barangay leaders with shotguns ostensibly for the latter’s protection and to help “maintain peace and order”.
Braganza slams policy on shotguns for kapitans
ALAMINOS CITY–The fear of possible abuse and misuse of the shotgun issued by the provincial government was lent credence with the recorded killing of a nurse last year. The death of Gabriel Viray Bautista, 39, a Lucap resident, in the hands of barangay officials from neighboring Bani town, using a…
Victim’s mom deplores gun policy for barangay chiefs
Dagupan now ranks ninth among the 45 most competitive small cities based on an assessment made by the Asian Institute of Management (AIM). Dr. Reinaldo Bautista, dean of the College of Accountancy of the Saint Louis University, announced Dagupan’s improved status during a presentation on State of Competitiveness at the…




