Oplan Rody, our chance at lesser crimes
By Ermin Garcia Jr.
THE directive of President Duterte to launch Oplan Rody intended to address the tambay culture was definitely long overdue, as in 50 years ago.
The seeming innocuous ordinances that include loitering, smoking, defecating and urinating in in public areas, shirtless, jaywalking, selling of liquor to minors, curfew hours for minors, illegal vending, operations of video games, truancy, etc. that impose minimal penalties (only from P300 to P1,000) are actually the root of many petty crimes against persons and properties.
As studies show, it is the weak or absence of enforcement that make even small criminal minds believe they can get away literally with murder.
The initial results of two-week operation implementation of Oplan Rody in the province already showed a reduction by 20% of crimes against persons and properties. The envisioned deterrent effect was proven.
If only these ordinances can be enforced consistently for a year, residents would surely develop the habit and the discipline to observe the ordinances like it’s the moral thing to do.
How can it remain effective? It will be effective for as long as residents 1) Feel police presence at night and, 2) Realize the police are keen on enforcing the ordinances. 3) Can sense political will to enforce the ordinances.
Anyway, no matter how they label this campaign to enforce ordinances, it is the most basic strategy in combating criminality.
It would help all police stations to equip their roving patrols with copies of ordinances related to the tambay directive that are being enforced.
* * * * *
IGNORANT SENATORS. I’m certain the senators who want the tambay directive recalled can’t invoke a single ordinance in the city where they reside.
The fact is all the senators, except Ping Lacson, a former law enforcer, are not aware of local governments’ problems except what they gather from MMDA reports. Even Sen. Trillanes, was only a former naval officer and a failed coup plotter, was never a law enforcer.
Those who objected to the tambay directive only exposed their ignorance of life in communities around the country. I won’t even be surprised if they are not even aware of rules and regulations set by their posh villages.
* * * * *
LEADERSHIP BY EXAMPLE. Two weeks ago, the Dagupan City Council passed a resolution asking all city employees and elected officials to take the drug test to demonstrate their support for the war on drugs in the city.
It’d be interesting to know how many and who among the councilors who voted for the resolution took the test themselves. Has the resolution author, Councilor Dennis Canto himself taken the test?
More interesting is if Mayor Belen Fernandez already took the cue from the resolution and already led the city hall staff to the Region 1 Medical Center to take the drug test. Ditto for Vice Mayor Brian Lim and sanggunian staff.
Dagupan residents will be more at ease if Mayor Belen and police chief Jandale Sulit could convince all newly elected barangay and SK officials to take the drug test.
After all, the tests are free!
Time for our dedicated officials to lead by example again!
* * * * *
WHO’S VIOLATING GOD’S TEACHINGS. A certain Jun Avelino posted on his Facebook account detailed the list of events that he said proves that it was the Catholic clergy in conspiracy with politicians who deliberately turned their backs on Catholic teachings, and not President Duterte.
- During the Presidential Campaign in 2016 and after he won, the clergy and their political allies invoked God’s teachings as they maligned Mr. Duterte calling murderer, womanizer, mysoginist, etc.
- Both members of the clergy and opposition politicians aided by allies in media openly urged public to rally in EDSA to condemn the killings of the drug lords, drug pushers, drug addicts and to seek Mr. Duterte’s ouster.
- The clergy and opposition senators conspired to house, protect and provide sanctuary to Matobato and Lascanas, both self-confessed killers with blood of over hundreds of people on their hands forgetting to look after their claimed victims.
- The hypocrisy of the clergy when they prayed over Sen. Leila de Lima declaring her innocence defying the legal process that established her accountability but conveniently kept their silence on her alleged extra-marital affair with her driver-security detail and detailed accounts of her involvement in illegal drug trading.
- Their hypocrisy by praying over former CJ Lourdes Sereno again defying the legal process for her disqualification.
- Members of the clergy and nuns paraded with coffins to mock the government’s war on drugs but did nothing to financially aid the alleged EJK victims.
- They condemn the martial law in Mindanao but were ominously quiet about the Mamasapano massacre, Luisita Hacienda massacre, Kidapawan massacre.
Indeed, the clergy turned their backs on:
1) Romans 13, Verse 1-14 titled “Submission to the Authorities “…Let every person be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God)
2) Mark 12:17 ( “…give to Caesar what is Caesar’s , and give to God what is God’s)
3) Mark 7:6 (“He replied, “Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you hypocrites; as it is written: ‘These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me.”).
* * * * *
TRI-FERRY SYSTEM – The proposed Alaminos Cty-Dagupan City–San Fernando City tri-ferry system, originally broached by then Dagupan Mayor Al Fernandez, is one idea that may have been too early for its time but certainly that time has come.
The legacy to making it a reality now rests with the 3 city mayors. Such a ferry system will augur well not only for the tourism promotion of the 3 cities and their neighboring towns but for the faster movement of goods and services of their residents.
Dagupan being the center, there’s more for Mayor Belen to make it a reality before her full 3- term expires. Yes, I hasten to predict that she will win her third term handily next year.
* * * * *
PRAYING FOR MAYOR’ AL’S COMFORT. Speaking of Mayor Al Fernandez, I’ve been in touch with his son former VM Alvin for updates about his father’s health. I realize that his messages to me are in confidence but I feel I should share a part so his worried and concerned friends and supporters will be consoled.
This much I believe I can share: “He has conditioned himself to go anytime. He receives communion daily from the visiting Eucharistic minister. He is holding on sa life because of prayers. Pero anytime ay ready na siya.”
So let’s storm the heaven with prayers to pray for his comfort and ease of mind.
Share your Comments or Reactions
Powered by Facebook Comments