Palarong Pambansa 2012 will be eco-friendly and high tech
LINGAYEN–The hosting of this year’s Palarong Pambansa promises to be a benchmark of all succeeding sports competitions in the coming years with the assurance of the Pangasinan provincial government spearheaded by Gov. Amado T. Espino, Jr. to make it more eco-friendly and a high-tech sports event.
The assurance was made by Vice Governor Jose Ferdinand Calimlim Jr. who represented the Governor during the Special National Management Committee (ManCom) meeting held February 8 at the Sison Auditorium, known as the Cultural Center of the North.
Participated in by Department of Education (DepEd) undersecretaries, assistant secretaries and regional directors of all 17 participating regions, the ManCom was aimed to tackle issues and concerns regarding the host’s preparation for the holding of the big event slated on May 6 to 12 such as updates and status of the different playing and billeting venues, presentation of different working committees, among others.
DepEd Undersecretary Rizalino Rivera expressed satisfaction with the current preparation being undertaken by the province.
Undersecretary Francisco Varela, on the other hand, revealed that the bidding process last year was tough considering the line-up of strong contenders.
“Pangasinan’s proposal was the best of several good proposals considering its readiness to host in terms of facilities is concerned,” he said.
Varela also said that this year’s budget for the Palaro amounted to P205.375 million which includes the budget for the regional competitions currently being conducted. For the main event, however, a total budget of P136.5 million has been allocated to cover financial assistance or logistics support for all participating regions.
At present, the provincial government is in the process of preparing the playing venues, the Narciso Ramos Sports and Civic Center being the main playing site, along with the billeting areas located in the towns of Lingayen, Bugallon, Binmaley, and in the cities of Dagupan and San Carlos. An ocular inspection was later held after the ManCom meeting.
Meanwhile, Provincial Administrator Rafael Baraan assured the management committee that Pangasinan will exert all efforts to inject the value of loving the environment during the national event.
As started last year during the Palaro in Dapitan, Baraan said the provincial government will further enhance the eco-friendly policy of the national games as it endeavors to inculcate in the minds of the participants, which is roughly estimated at 10,000, the value of cleanliness and orderliness with the Capitol as the point of example.
Also, a website is now being developed where Palaro 2012 games can be viewed via live stream.
During the meeting, drawing of lots for the selection of billeting quarters by the regional directors was held. Ocular inspection of playing venues and assigned billeting quarters followed in the afternoon.
Participants of the ManCom meeting were likewise treated by the provincial government with a welcome dinner and fellowship night. (PIO)
Share your Comments or Reactions
Powered by Facebook Comments