LINGAYEN—With just over a week before New Year revelry, all hospitals run by the provincial government have started gearing up to admit victims of firecracker explosions.
This was announced by Dr. Anna de Guzman, the provincial health officer, saying
that to date, all things that these hospitals will need in their emergency and operating rooms like the anti-tetanus vaccine and anti-biotic medicines, including their surgical equipment, are all now in place.
These hospitals are also ready to admit victims of vehicular accidents caused by drunk driving and those who suffer the usual ailments that may be related to the happy holidays.
Hospitals have been on Code White (all personnel leaves cancelled) since December 21 and will be on Code Red (24/7 on call for personnel) on December 24, 25, and on December 31 up to January 1.
“Our target this year is to reduce the number of firecracker victims by at least 50 percent from last year’s number,” De Guzman told the Talakayan sa Kapitolyo on Wednesday.
The PHO urged barangay officials to monitor activities of sari-sari stores in their communities who sell the banned firecracker Piccolo, packed in a candy-like case.
She said the number of firecracker victims each year is more than enough reason to effect a total ban on firecrackers in the whole country. The injuries, she said, far outweigh the lost income of manufacturers and vendors. (Leonardo Micua)
Share your Comments or Reactions
Powered by Facebook Comments