LINGAYEN– The CapitolBuilding overlooking the scenic Lingayen Gulf, built during the administration of Don Daniel Maramba, the seventh governor who ruled the province, will mark its centennial year with a two-day commemorative program to led byGovernor Amado Espino III starting December 16.
The celebration on the theme “Stronger Heritage, Stronger Pangasinan” will kick off with a Thanksgiving Mass (as the first Anticipated Midnight Mass)at the capitol, and a musical concert by students of La Salle Greenhills, the100 Light Dance numbers, the 3D light projection of the provincial capitol building and a fireworks display.
On December 17. with the formal presentation and launching of the CapitolBuilding Commemorative Stamp by the Philippine Postal Corporation during theMonday flag-raising ceremony to be presided by Gov. Espino, will be followed by an opening of a photo exhibit about the provincial capitol showcasing the works of Pangasinan topnotch photographers.
Now one of the eight Architectural Treasures of the Philippines in a declaration made by the National Commission for Culture and the Arts, theCapitol was designed by imminent American architect Daniel Burnham.
This is the reason why many believe that the Capitol Building has a strong resemblance with some of the best-known state capitols in the United States.
Constructed on April 21, 1917 and completed on December 17, 1918, it cost the government P300,000.
The architecture of the Capitol is marked by the use of columns, entablatures, and pediments. The plan used two stories with a monumental main floor lobby.
It was severely destroyed when the Japanese landed on the shores of Lingayen Gulf on December8, 1945, which necessitated the transfer of the Capitol to Dagupan and then to Tayug.
The Capitol was further destroyed when the allied liberation forces landed in Lingayen on January 9,1945.
Restored and renovated in 1948 during the administration of then Governor Enrique Braganza, the 14th governor, followed the restoration done by Gov. Victor Agbayani, then Gov.Amado Espino Jr., hiring restoration architect Rene Luis Mata.
The building underwent a major facelift under Gov. Amado Espino Jr. from 2007 to 2008 with the help ofArchitect Chris David of Pampanga.
The Capitol Building has since withstood the test of times as a mute witness to the history of Pangasinan, including the changing of the guards who alternately ruled the province. (LeonardoMicua)
Share your Comments or Reactions
Powered by Facebook Comments