‘Bato’ dares detractors to prove he issued illegal orders

BAYAMBANG—Retired Philippine National Police (PNP) chief and now senatorial candidate Ronald Dela Rosa reiterated that he is standing by his record and accomplishments in the war on drugs and challenged his detractors to prove that he issued illegal orders to hunt and kill drug personalities.

“If I did something wrong, and if I have to be imprisoned, I would stand by my actions as long as they can prove I committed a mistake. But I swear to God, we didn’t have any orders to our men when I was PNP chief to kill drug personalities,” he stressed.

At the same time, he feels vindicated by the continued efforts of his successor Director-General Oscar Albayalde to sustain the campaign against illegal drugs that he started under the Duterte administration.

“It is being sustained and so far we continue to read of many arrests in the news during (anti-illegal drugs) operations,” he told local newsmen when he came here as guest of the local government led by Mayor Cezar Quiambao in their Monday flag raising ceremony.

Dela Rosa wondered if there would be another president like Duterte who can and will make the campaign against illegal drugs a priority. “I don’t know if ever there will be another president like him,” he said.

“I’m afraid if we would have a next president that would only do a “jab jab” (something that is haphazard) and not entirely ensure the death of the drugs problem,” he said.

He urged the people to exploit the situation by actively helping in the fight against illegal drugs in the remaining years of Duterte administration.

He said that if Duterte didn’t win, “perhaps the Philippines might have had many zombies due to the proliferation of illegal drugs”.

He also warned against having a narco-state in the country where people supported by drug lords with unlimited resources would win the elections.

He expressed disgust that some policemen and judges were found protecting drug syndicates controlled by drug lords who already are behind bars at the New Bilibid Prison.

“How would you arrest them since they are already in prison?,” he said.

Aware that more than 50 percent of drug transactions in the country are directed by imprisoned drug lords, he said he was ordered by the President to end drug trafficking inside the New Bilibid Prison when he was appointed as Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) chief.

He said he is proud that under his stint as BuCor chief, drug lords could hardly do their illegal transactions due to reforms he has undertaken. (PhilStar Wire Service)

Share your Comments or Reactions

comments

Powered by Facebook Comments