ROSALES—The Samahan ng Industriyang Agrikultura (Sinag) said the culling of some 40,000 birds in a farm in Cabiao, Nueva Ecija last week should not alarm consumers about possibility of resurgence of bird-flu.
Rosendo So, Sinag chairman, said Friday that Agriculture Secretary Manny Piñol has already adopted measures to prevent spread of a avian influenza.
“It’s per farm isolation only (for the one affected) and it’s a protocol adopted in other countries like Europe,” So said.
Other farms will also be subjected to tests and if it is found positive, it will be isolated but if none, then its operation will go normal, he added.
He said based on the protocol adopted, there is no more one-kilometer or seven-kilometer quarantine zones this time.
The one perceived to be affected with bird flu in Cabiao is just a small farm and its surrounding farms remain unaffected.
He said the 40,000 culled chickens represent only a very, very small population of the poultry industry. “The effect will not be felt,” he added.
Cabiao is a neighboring town of San Isidro, where more than 300,000 birds were culled in August due to an avian flu virus outbreak declared by the DA.
Meanwhile, So said poultry supply for Christmas and New Year is enough to meet the expected high market demand. (Eva Visperas)
Share your Comments or Reactions
Powered by Facebook Comments