THERE’S a new activity at the one of the Hundred Islands. Try Fishyalan.
It is a tour of the 12.43 hectares of the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) Satellite Center or Multi-species Marine Fish Broodstock Center located in one of 123 islands, the Cariaz Island.
It’s an opportunity to view the breeders of different species of high value fish, e.g. 1,000 pieces of malaga, 500 pampano and 700 snapper inside floating cages in the island named after Mang Cariaz, the dedicated overseer of the center.
The move to open the breeding center for visitors came after the signing of agreement between BFAR and the Protected Management Board of Alaminos City government to increase its area from 3.3 hectares to12.43 hectares for Bloodstock Center.
Cariaz Island is located at the back of Governor’s Island and one of the 123 island when it is low tide.
Though the Broodstock center is now open for tourists, fishing is strictly prohibited. (Nora Dominguez)
- October 5, 2014 100 Isles attraction remains strongSHELLFISH BAN OR NO BAN
ALAMINOS CITY,—The local government unit (LGU) here confirmed that the shellfish ban in the city is still up as the red tide alert is still up but it happily […]
- December 8, 2013Pugaro fisherfolk assured of bigger catchMARGINAL fishermen in Barangay Pugaro in Dagupan are the first in Region 1 to benefit from the Payao Program of the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) with the installation […]
- January 21, 2017US students praise local aquacultureSTUDENTS of Rhode Island University in the United States praised Philippine aquaculture practices when they came to Pangasinan for a 20-day study tour.
Dr. Michael Rice, a professor in […]
- May 4, 2014Dasol town sticks to good ol’ salt-makingTHANKS but no thanks.
This was the response of the Dasol officialdom to a proposal to transform its bay into a prosperous aquaculture field using fish cages.
Dasol bay has been […]
- January 6, 2013Zero fishkill incident in 2012FISHPOND operators in the bangus-producing areas in Pangasinan seem to be finally learning to follow the right methods of cultivation with no incidents of fishkill reported in […]