TEODORA “Dory” Cendaña Aoanan, a longtime resident of Alhambra, California died on April 2, 2016 on the eve of the Feast of the Divine Mercy.
Dory was born on January 7, 1926 in Malasiqui, Pangasinan, Philippines. She spent her early years in and went to school in Baguio City, Philippines.
She is survived by her husband, Mariano “Naning” G. Aoanan who she married 72 years ago, on April 30, 1944 in Baguio City.
They settled in San Manuel and Dagupan City in the Philippines where their 5 children, Victoria, Ramon, Mariano, Jr. (deceased), Manuel “Lito” and Virgilio were born.
She is also survived by her grandchildren Gerald Obien, Jose Bernard Obien, Rebecca Aoanan Gonzales, Francis Obien, Rachel Aoanan, Sarah Aoanan, Isabel Aoanan and Clarisse Aoanan, her daughters -in-law and son-in law, Esther Ramos, Maria Elena Mendoza-Aoanan and Manuel Obien, her grandsons-in- law Thomas Charles Gonzales and Shawn Anderson, great-granddaughter Emma Gonzales and only surviving sister, Lilia Cendana Santos.
While in Dagupan City she established the Dory Cendaña Vocational School and had a Beauty Salon business there for more than 25 years. Her business and mentorship provided a safe, educational environment for young women interested in the workplace at a time when women’s rights were practically non-existent.
When Naning was assigned as the Philippine Legal Attaché in Honolulu, Hawaii, Dory continued with her beauty salon business in Pearl City, Hawaii and again in Los Angeles, California when Naning was transferred there.
Dory and Naning attended and were very active in their church, St. Thomas More in Alhambra, California. Dory was especially active with the parish Legion of Mary.
Dory and Naning were active members in the Greater Dagupan Association of The Los Angeles Area.
The following is schedule of important events of the next few days and weeks:
- The 9th day of the Novena will be held at 2413 La Crescenta Ave., Alhambra, CA 91803 on Sunday, April 10 and tentatively scheduled for 7:00 PM.
- April 11, Monday (5:30pm – 9:00pm) – 1st day of viewing and rosary to be held at Rose Hills Memorial Park http://www.rosehills.com/en-us/index.page
- April 12, Tuesday (5:30pm – 9:00pm) – 2nd day of viewing and rosary at Rose Hills Memorial Park
- April 13, Wednesday (TBD) – Final Funeral Service and Mass at the SkyRose Chapel, Rose Hills Memorial Park3888 Workman Mill Rd., Whittier, CA 9060
- April 30, Saturday – Naning and Dory’s 73rd Wedding Anniversary, a Mass for the eternal repose of Dory’s soul will be held at St Thomas More Parish Church, 2510 So. Fremont Ave., Alhambra, CA 91803. The urn containing her ashes will be present during the mass then it will be transported after to the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels
555 West Temple Street
Los Angeles, CA 90012-2707,
- April 30, Saturday – We will have a celebration of Dory’s life. All who want to say something about fond memories of her are invited to speak. Venue will be announced shortly.