IT is safe to eat seashells gathered from the coastal waters of western Pangasinan, particularly from the aquaculture towns of Bolinao, Anda and Wawa, Bani as well as Alaminos City, according to the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) Region 1.
In its latest advisory dated September 14, BFAR said laboratory analysis results indicate the area is free from red tide, thus crabs, shrimps, seashells like mussels and oysters gathered from there are okay for human consumption.
But BFAR Region 1 Director Nestor Domenden still advised local governments to require market inspectors, quarantine officers, and administrators to demand an auxiliary invoice or clearance for seafood unloaded from other provinces or municipalities to ensure that these did not come from areas positive of paralytic shellfish poisoning.
BFAR issues results of red tide examinations every two weeks.—Eva Visperas
Back to Homepage
- January 13, 2013Western Pangasinan still red tide-freeSEAFOOD products from the towns of Bolinao, Anda and Bani, and Alaminos City are safe to eat as these four coastal areas continue to be red tide free, according to the latest bulleting of […]
- November 22, 2015Four coastal waters remain red tide-freeTHE Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) confirmed in its latest shellfish bulletin that the coastal waters of Anda, Bolinao, Alaminos City and Wawa in Bani are still red […]
- October 6, 2013Shellfish from western Pangasinan free from red tideIT remains safe to eat shellfish gathered from the coastal waters on the western side of Pangasinan, including Bolinao, Anda, Alaminos City and Wawa, Bani, as these have been certified to […]
- September 21, 20144 coastal areas in Pangasinan still red tide-freeFISH, squids, shellfishes gathered in four coastal areas in Pangasinan remain red tide-free.
Region 1 Director of Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources Nestor Domenden said […]
- June 19, 2017EditorialRed Tide kills tourism
THE news from the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) that the coastal barangays of Alaminos City, Bani, Bolinao, Anda and Sual are finally free is a […]