The SUNDAY PUNCH was founded in July 5, 1956 by the late Ermin Erfe Garcia as its editor-publisher. Shortly before he was murdered in his editorial office last May 20, 1966 in Dagupan City, THE SUNDAY PUNCH was cited as the Best Edited Provincial Newspaper in the Philippines by the National Press Club and Esso Philippines.
Ermin Jr., the only son of the late editor-publisher assumed management of the paper in 1968 after graduating from college. The newspaper has since been cited by the Philippine Press Institute and the Konrad Adenauer Foundation for excellence in journalism, particularly in economic reporting, editorial writing, reporting on environment and photojournalism. It was also cited in a UNESCO report as one of the 10 most successful community newspapers in Asia.
In 1997, The SUNDAY PUNCH, in partnership with BITSTOP, became the first Filipino community newspaper to have its online version. Through the years, the SUNDAY PUNCH has maintained its commitment to serve the information needs of overseas Pangasinenses with the help of overseas Kabaleyans who joined the KABALEYAN CLUB.